In an area of mangrove swamps and fertile farmland, Miss Juliette Becker built the first home in 1947 on the SE corner of Sample Road and NE 21st Avenue. Four years later, the first acreage was acquired for development by R. E. Batemen. In 1951 the first home in a new subdivision called Hillsboro Isles was completed. On December 23, 1953, the first baby, Cynthia Ann Wright, was born to “Lighthouse Point” parents. From these beginnings the future City of Lighthouse Point began to emerge.
On June 13, 1956, the Town of Lighthouse Point was incorporated. City Hall operated from a store front at 1811 NE 24th Street. Fire protection was provided by Pompano Beach Highlands volunteers. Court was held on Saturday mornings when necessary. Town meetings were held every second week. In June 1957, Lighthouse Point received its state charter and officially became a City. A City Hall building was completed at 22nd Avenue and 38th Street in 1959 and by 1963, the City was able to employ a fire chief and ten reserve firefighters. In 1965 a police building was constructed across from City Hall to accommodate both police and fire departments. The two shared space until a new fire station was built.
The subdivisions of Venetian Isles, Lighthouse Manor and Wooler Heights were added between 1957 and 1969. In 1970, after approval from Tallahassee and referendum of the people, the Coral Key and Pompano Waterway Estates areas officially became part of Lighthouse Point, increasing its land area to 2.36 sq. miles and population to nearly 9,500.
DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES